Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Reading On

Not sure why I found the Brink Road segment of Volume 2 of Ammons's The Complete Poems so unrewarding. I enjoyed a few of the shorter poems, those towards the end of the collection, and the final long poem, Summer Place, was a pleasure to read. But the vast majority of the poems left me unengaged. Perhaps it was a mistake to keep working through Volume 2 after completing the lengthy first volume? Could it be I need a break from Ammons?

The thing is though that I'm now thoroughly engaged by the epic Glare and the kind of difficulty I found in reading most of Brink Road has simply faded away. I suppose I should make an attempt to understand my differing responses but I'm too busy enjoying myself again to make the effort.

5 comments:

Lihui said...

Hi Mr Connor,

Hope all is well. I am Lihui. I know this message is sent out of the blue. I used to be a student of TKGS Sec 4/9 in the year of 1997. Are you the Mr Connor that used to teach the class? I will be very thrilled if you are. :)

Best Regards,
Lihui

Brian Connor said...

Yes, I am that Mr Connor, Lihui, and I’m so sorry to only be replying to you on the first day of 2024. Didn’t mean to be so rude but I completely lost track of how to monitor for comments on this blog and am only now getting back to an awareness of some I missed. Hope you have good memories of school in 1997! And hope things have gone well for you since then!

Lihui said...

Not at all. It is so great to reconnect after so many years and so glad to see that you are still here in SG. 1997 was an amazing year and you definitely played a significant role in that as my English teacher. I went to a good JC after and life treated me well. I will say God has been very kind to me all these years. Mr Connor, if you are open to it, I will love to buy you a coffee. No obligations at all, I am just thrilled to find you here after over 20 years. :)

Brian Connor said...

Hi again, Li Hui, and another apology for a late reply. I'm still struggling to grasp how to monitor comments here as the blogger system doesn't seem to alert me anymore. Good to know that life has treated you well - as, fortunately, it has done for me. I'm always open to being bought a coffee (since I'm such a cheapskate) so let me know how we might go about meeting - if you ever get to read this reply. In the meantime, I'll endeavour to monitor in-coming comments in some kind of systematic manner.

Lihui said...

Amazing! Apologies for my tardiness in responding, Mr Connor! I blame it on the long CNY holiday withdrawal symptoms! If it is not too rude, I am going to leave my mobile number here. It is 92478385. And if you can see it, if I can ask if you are alright to drop me a WhatsApp or text and we can perhaps arrange a time for the coffee in this manner. I am excitedly waiting to hear from you!