Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Plot Thickens

Still pleasantly lost in Lee Child's Blue Moon, despite being impossibly busy. The busyness means I can only lose myself for a few minutes at a time, unfortunately, but being lost with Jack Reacher helps deal with the busyness.

As always I'm bowled over by the style of the novel - the slow-mo action sequences are models of finely-honed prose - but this time around I'm finding myself increasingly impressed at just strong Child's plotting is, and just how clever - yet without any kind of showing off. The details of our hero's frenetic involvement with the Albanian and Ukrainian gangs that dominate the small town he finds himself in are woven so tightly that they're close to impossible to unravel for someone of my limited apprehension, yet I find myself trusting in the integrity of the plotting, accepting that it all dovetails, though I haven't the nous to quite see the joins.

It's funny that for someone who reads so many novels I've never really developed in terms of following complex plots - or ever been able to actually conceive of a real plot myself in my own bits of writing for the stage. 

No comments: