Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Something Serious

Finished The Secret History. Enjoyed the chapters on Bunny's funeral which got away from the college and widened the range of characters. But found the ending as thin as the early chapters. Just couldn't get interested in the group the novel is centred on. Also got a bit fed up with all the drinking and consumption of illicit substances. All a bit much somehow: I developed a sort of unsympathetic headache as a response doing so. Have to say though, I found it an easy read just at the level of story and was genuinely interested in how it all worked out without caring too much for the folk in it.

Fortunately I saved the day by rereading something of substance: the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. I will be teaching this in the first term of 2022 and found myself happily thinking of how that might work in the classroom. Kept thinking of what it might have been like to read this in its year of publication, 1845. Genuinely life-changing for many a white reader I would imagine.

No comments: