Saturday, November 20, 2021

Peak Relaxation

My end of the year appointment with my back doc couldn't have come at a better time. The crankiness in my left side has shown no signs of subsiding. Even on days when I've managed to avoid the sudden, sharp shocks of pain that have characterised the problem (as on Tuesday and Wednesday this week) I've had a haunting feeling of vulnerability and an intuitive sense that the shocks will return (as they did on Thursday and Friday.) I wondered if the drive to the medical centre might provoke an attack or two and, indeed, walking from the car into the centre featured two moments of gritted teeth.

The doc decided that the problem called for a magic jab - which, unusually, was a bit painful in itself - the donning of a patch to ease the pain, and a lot of pills designed to relax my muscles. It was a relief to think that, with some luck, the problem might just disappear before I see him again, two weeks from now.

After the appointment Noi and I went off to Arab Street for a cuppa, and a visit to Wardah Books (which is temporarily located in different premises.) Apart from enjoying a bit of a browse our visit had a definite purpose - to get hold of the latest CD from the esteemed Ramli Sarip. Noi had read an article about how the bookshop was one of few places where Papa Rock's album was available for purchase, and purchase it we did.

I was very sure indeed it would be a great listen and I wasn't wrong, but I didn't quite realise just how memorable that first listen was going to be. Getting back home I took the first round of the pills prescribed with a distinct sense of feeling a mild high as the jab and pain patch were kicking in. I did the Zuhor Prayer with an awareness that if I didn't pray right away I wasn't going to manage to do once I lay down. And lay down I did with Encik Ramli as entertainment, though the word doesn't do justice to how beguiling Rasa is. Beautifully played, sung (RS has never been in better voice) and produced it held me spellbound. I can't remember ever being quite as relaxed as I was for the next three hours. Almost worth the three weeks of discomfort preceding.

No comments: