Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Hard Stuff

Just finished the August edition of The New York Review of Books, the Summer Issue (according to the cover.) I read a lot fewer editions of the publication than I used to over a year, I suppose because I'm now so accustomed to reading stuff through my phone, pushing to one side the reading of material in hard copy. However, I grow more certain over time that what I read for 'real' somehow 'sticks' in a way that 'soft' material doesn't always manage to.

As usual I put this edition aside (meaning on the pile of NYRBs on the bookshelves outside) convincing myself I'll revisit it one day, though I suppose that's unlikely. But I am taking note of the articles that had a particularly eye-opening effect, especially one on W.E.B. Du Bois that served to reinforce my desire to read The Souls of Black Folk sometime soon.

No comments: