Saturday, October 23, 2021

Getting Into It

I managed to find the time in the later part of the week to watch the full 2018 live performance of Radiohead in Sao Paulo. Apart from just how good it is, I was struck by the difference between this version of the band and the live from the basement stuff they do, available on YouTube. It's difficult to believe that they're as convincing as arena rockers as they are in the tight confines of a studio. The sign of something very special. And, I suppose there's a third version: the albums themselves and the sense of the studio as an instrument.

One unexpected reaction from me to the Sao Paulo performance. I found myself genuinely moved by just how much the young crowd were into the music. The singing along added an unexpected dimension, and normally I find that kind of thing irritating. This time the special sincere intensity of it all helped me to a better understanding of how much the songs have the potential to mean.

No comments: