Wednesday, June 9, 2021

No Real Choice

Played John Luther Adams's become ocean in the early afternoon and his become desert later in the day. Wondered if it were possible to decide which I prefer and decided the choice was impossible but worth considering if it meant I was going to keep playing the pieces. I suppose more 'happens' in become ocean since the music ebbs and flows in distinct segments, but then realised I don't even know  how many segments there are despite having listened many times. Counting just seems pointless, like trying to count the oceans.

For some reason the elegiac nature of the music seemed more obvious to me today than ever before. I suppose the way the pieces transcend the individual means you can miss the melancholy involved. This is mourning for the planet making personal sadness seem small, irrelevant even.

No comments: