Saturday, June 5, 2021

Beyond Analysis

I've now arrived at Tape for the Turn of the Year in my read-through of Volume 1 of The Collected Poems of A.R. Ammons. It's Ammons's first foray into a lengthy piece and I was reminded of the many virtues of Garbage and Glare, the two later long poems of his I'm familiar with. Above all it's the humanely relaxed humour that is so engaging and grounds these poems despite their sometimes abstruse philosophical meanderings.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, encountering Archie Ammons's early poetry involved a strange sense of familiarity, and that has been very much reinforced as I have moved on to his work of the 1960s. Yet if I were asked to critically analyse anything by him I'm not at all sure I could say anything worthwhile or even mildly illuminating.

No comments: