Monday, March 30, 2020

Resistance Is Futile

I've been making heroic efforts to avoid dipping into the new, expanded edition of Sid Smith's In the Court of King Crimson, one of my recent purchases from the Book Depository - part of the order I thought lost that thankfully arrived eventually. The new material on the latest version of the greatest band in the known universe is easy, compelling reading for a fanboy like me, and I really shouldn't be browsing it so totally out of sequence.

What prompted me to dip in like this, aside from my usual excited curiosity, was a bit sad. I wasn't entirely surprised to read of the death of Bill Rieflin, one of the trio of drummers making up one of the most extraordinary line-ups of any band ever, due to his unexplained recent absences from touring and a general sense that something wasn't quite right there. And following the rich tributes paid at DGM I felt I needed to know a bit more about the guy and his contribution to this version of Crimso, and, indeed, his connections with Robert Fripp over quite a number of years.

As I suspected, there's a lot of enlightening material in the enhanced toxic tome on Bill Rieflin and, indeed, everyone who ever served at the Court. It's going to be a great read, but I really need to put it to one side for now.

No comments: