Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Darkness Made Visible

It's taken me quite a bit longer to get to the finishing line in Dark Fire than I expected, and I'm still not quite there yet - with some 40 pages to go. Two reasons for this: working from home has kept me pretty busy; and I've been enjoying Sansom's novel so much that I've been deliberately slowing down my reading - mainly by reading other stuff at the same time.

Brilliant plotting and a wonderful sense of atmosphere make this a very special read, but the tale's genuine sense of the nature of evil and its relationship with a religious view of life and its meaning takes the book to a very high level. I wouldn't claim this to be in Wolf Hall territory (and how am I going to be able to resist the final volume of Mantel's Cromwellian trilogy at this point in time?) but it occupies the very height of what genre fiction can achieve.

No comments: