Monday, March 9, 2020

Not So Comfortable

Since our unexpected acquisition of Netflix the main viewing for the Missus and myself thereon has been Doc Martin, the fifth series. Excellent late night comfort viewing. Apart from enjoying the comedy and bits & pieces of drama, just gazing at the Cornish seaside village in which it all happens is a guarantee of a jolly evening.

But I'm keenly aware the channel has a lot more to offer, and it was with this in mind that I had a look early this evening at the beginning of Ken Burns's documentary series on Vietnam. Being hard pressed for time I could only manage the first 25 minutes or so, but that was enough to convey the high quality of the series and to make clear that viewing the various episodes would be the opposite of comfortable.

I don't know why, but I find anything related to the war deeply evocative of my childhood and teenage years, yet I was half a world away from all the key players. What must watching this be like for those with real, direct involvement? Searing, I would guess.

No comments: