Thursday, November 21, 2019

Playing Around

On the flight out to Japan I watched the first 15 minutes or so of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and thought it was very good. I would have watched more, but needed to sleep. So I had a pretty good idea in advance that I would thoroughly enjoy watching the movie in its entirety on the flight back, and I was not wrong. I did wonder whether the full 2 hours and 40 minutes of the film would hold my attention throughout, but in the event time flew by and I was disappointed when it was over.

The film combines inventive energy and an enjoyable playfulness without ever really taking itself too seriously. I'm informed that there's a level of controversy about the way Tarantino distorts his source material, especially with regard to the ending of the film, but I found no problem in accepting, indeed relishing, the director's imaginative take on the period.

In fact, the touchingly sympathetic portrayal of poor Sharon Tate - quite unexpected given most of the commentary on the dark events surrounding the Manson 'family' - was a triumph, justifying the whole enterprise.

No comments: