Monday, April 22, 2019

True Grit

Our month of fasting begins two weeks from today. I'm thinking of the challenge to come with the usual mixture of anticipation and trepidation. Lots of the latter this year since the month neatly coincides with the busiest time of my working year.

It was particularly hot last Friday. Walking to the Sungai Petai Mosque, exposed to the sun, was a reminder of how important the climate can be to one's experience of fasting. But I'm incredibly lucky to be able to take shelter from the elements, even at my busiest. Chatting with Fuad about the upcoming Ramadhan we both noted that if it proves as hot as it was in Alor Gajah over the weekend we'd probably struggle. Then my brother-in-law reminded me of the workers he encounters on building sites he's monitoring and how they sustain the fast no matter what, in the most extreme conditions, at the limit of endurance.

These are not guys you hear of getting picked out for their strength of character. But, my goodness, they should be.

No comments: