Thursday, April 4, 2019

Much The Same, But Different

Happened to look back just now at a post from this date, 10 years ago. It served as enough of a reminder of the brilliance of Procol Harum for me to bang on Broken Barricades, the CD which I was thinking of purchasing back then, according to my final paragraph. Glad I did buy it. It's lost none of the magic it possessed for me as a (very) callow teenager.

The somewhat older version of me from a decade ago says some reasonably wise things about the Procol Harum - Live At The Union Chapel, DVD that happened to be on my mind and in my ears in April 2009. But I was taken aback at my glib put-down (I think that's what it is) regarding the esteemed Robin Trower towards the end. I appear to have developed better ears since then to now recognise the surpassing excellence of one of the great rock guitarists.

Listening to the first track from Broken Barricades, the rocking Simple Sister (a seemingly distinctive Trower tune if ever there was one, that's actually from Gary Booker) I'm reminded of listening to this blasted out live whilst standing in the foyer of the Free Trade Hall Manchester, as an encore, I think. This must have been the time I first saw Procol live and I assume I'd been told I had to catch the last bus home or get into trouble, so I'd needed to leave early and missed the end. I must have been all of 15.

Wonder if I'll be listening to this another decade or so on? Hope so.

No comments: