Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Impeccable

I was telling a class the other day about my impeccable taste in music and explaining that this went back to my teenage years. Then just today I confirmed the truth of my claim, to myself at least, when I chanced upon a surpassingly excellent version of The Musical Box from the brilliant Steve Hackett and his Genesis Revisited project. (Would love to see these guys live, by the by.) I was reminded of what a timelessly great piece of music this is, and then realised the first time I heard it, and instantly recognised its greatness, was when I was just a lad, a mere 16-year-old.

Yes, I saw the classic Genesis line-up, their guitar maestro included, as the support act on the 6 bob Chrysalis tour (featuring VdGG and Lindisfarne) and knew instantly that I was witnessing genius at work. I rushed out a few days later to purchase Nursery Cryme and never looked back. Except I'm now looking back in some appreciation at my younger self doing something right for once.

No comments: