Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Slightly Melancholic

Noi has gone off to KL for some two and a half weeks to see to the work we're getting done to repair the roof of our house there. She's being accompanied by no fewer than four nieces, one thankfully of senior years, so she'll have her hands full. In stark contrast I find myself at something of a loose end. There's still plenty going on at work of course, hence my remaining here, but this place has felt more than a little bit empty today.

I took myself off to the gym this afternoon hoping for some improvement on my previous visit. That took place last Sunday, just before we took Fifi for her birthday dinner, and was strangely unimpressive. I say 'strangely' as I felt in pretty good nick before hitting the pedals on the elliptical trainer and I thought I would post good numbers. In the event I struggled through the last five minutes, knowing that if I pushed myself at all I'd be close to throwing up. Today saw a slight improvement - I felt okay over the final stretch, though I can't say I set the world alight over my designated forty-five minutes.

It's a melancholy, lonely truth that once you hit a certain age the kind of progress that might have been taken for granted is no longer automatic. And it feels that bit lonelier, that bit more melancholy, when there's no Missus around to complain to regarding that necessary truth.

No comments: