Monday, November 5, 2018

Compulsion

Read Han Kang's short novel The Vegetarian over the weekend. Think this won the Booker International Award, or something like that. Actually it was Runima who passed me a copy, and I'm glad she did. My first ever Korean novel.

It starts off strange and gets steadily stranger - always a good sign. Han Kang is the kind of writer who seems to feel things with great intensity, as if she's missing a layer of protection against the world, I'm tempted to say a layer of skin, but hesitate to use such a trite image given her novel's deployment of a brilliantly original sequence of images of the body as the site of conflict. (Though the nods towards Kafka - think The Hunger Artist - suggest something less than original, but wonderfully allusive.) 

Very assured shifts of perspective also. It's a crafty novel, but hides its craftiness beneath the urgency of a compelling surface. I suppose many readers will see it as a novel of feminist protest, given the strikingly passive-aggressive figure at its centre, and the ways in which she is objectified by various males, but I think that's to underestimate the depth of its existential concerns.

No comments: