Thursday, July 5, 2018

In Memory

My memory isn't what it used to be, I'm afraid. I've been trying to memorise some lines lately and the process has been super-slow, compared to what I was capable of years ago. Somehow I managed to memorise the Henry Higgins's role from My Fair Lady, songs and all, before we even started rehearsals back in the early 80s. Now I doubt if I could manage a single song with real confidence.

Having said that though, it's been interesting revisiting the process of committing chunks to memory. I'd forgotten just how immersive it all gets. Just now I was running lines whilst doing my stint in the gym and completely forgot to feel tired. In fact, I thought I had a further ten minutes to go at the point I'd actually finished my scheduled forty-five.

It's strangely pleasant to get so lost in someone else's words.

No comments: