Friday, March 10, 2017

Still Moaning

Just read this from this date from my journal of 15 years ago:

The SSO in fine form tonight. Their audience quite dreadful. Lots of students in attendance for some reason. Extremely limited attention spans, especially for the second half of the concert, which happened to be wonderful. Great piece by Toru Takemitsu: I Hear The Water Dreaming. Textures to drown in. Why is it so hard for people to just do nothing & listen?
 
So I was as much of an old curmudgeon then as I am now. But a curmudgeon with a pretty good point to make, I reckon. (By the way, I remember vividly the opening of the great composer's piece and just how noisy the idiots around me became as soon as they realised the music wasn't conventionally 'pretty' in the manner I reckon they expected. And I feel just as annoyed now as I was then.)

No comments: