Friday, March 24, 2017

Changing For The Better

Came across an excellent piece In praise of cliché by Stig Abell at the website for the TLS today, his response to the recent terror attack in London. It chimes oddly with my own mild encomium for cliché in yesterday's post. It's only in the last couple of weeks that I've been visiting the website of a publication that for quite a number of years, back in the 70s and 80s, I used to purchase on a weekly basis. When I checked out the website some time back I'd been sorely disappointed and never bothered to include it in my list of Freebie Material on the Web that Needs to be Checked Out on a Regular Basis. It now makes the list - which could be a bit of a problem as there's just too much good stuff out there. Oh well, I'll just have to cope.

Having to cope with the problem of having too much interesting stuff to deal with is what my younger self signally failed to do. Even at this distance of years I'm still vaguely aware of the guilt engendered by having a pile of issues of the Times Literary Supplement of which quite a number remained unread. Wonder what I did with them all?

By the way, I assume it's since the very able Mr Abell took over the editorship of this hoary old publication that the improvement in its website came about, though I might be wrong. I first noticed the chap as a regular contributor to the Press Review on Sky News when he was the editor of The Sun and was astonished that any editor of that publication could be so reasonable and intelligent. Sometimes, against all the odds, the world seems to mildly improve.

No comments: