Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Discovery

I'm no stranger to the work of composer Ennio Morricone and have mentioned his brilliant score for Cinema Paradiso in this Far Place on at least one occasion. I remember buying the music for The Mission on cassette tape when the movie first came out having picked up the buzz on it and, of course, like everyone of my generation I knew his stuff for the spaghetti westerns featuring Clint Eastwood, almost taking the absolute rightness of the music for granted.

But I really had no idea of the incredible scope, diversity and consistent brilliance of his achievement until, with great good fortune, I came across The 'Official' Ennio Morricone Thread hosted by the good people at ProgressiveEars. I now have a new musical hero and my life is brighter for the addition.

No comments: