Monday, September 8, 2014

The Long Haul

 
Pictured above: the spoils from my most recent appearance at the annual Lit Seminar. Not a bad haul, eh, and I actually gave away over half the book vouchers I received for my services to our three nieces resident this side of the Causeway.

Almost all poetry, of course, in deference to how they're earned, and chosen for the most part on the principle that I've never heard of them before and somebody somewhere thinks they're good so let's give them a go. Honourable exceptions, it goes without saying, the excellent Billy Collins - though since I own nothing by him I suppose he qualifies in that respect - and the equally excellent Michael Ondaatje - of whom I own a battered second hand copy of his Billy The Kid book which is wonderfully strange.

My standard prediction at this time of the year applies: it will probably take me until next September to work my way through this little lot. I've still got to clear my Selected Auden before I can make a start.

No comments: