Saturday, September 20, 2014

Music In Mind

Entertained myself during one of my invigilation slots on Friday by running some tunes from Sondheim's Sweeny Todd through my head. Then went on to an internal rendition of the Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall. Quite ironic considering it was an examination.

This got me thinking of the obsessive element in music, or in my experience of music, that is. Once I'd started on my Friday renditions I really couldn't stop myself, so it's a good job the examination hall was a hive of inactivity for that particular fifty minutes. Similarly I'm at a loss to explain why my recent discovery of material from Bill Frisell's Disfarmer project on-line means that it's become imperative for me to get my clammy fingers on the whole set. Except, perhaps, that something as uselessly beautiful as this cannot be ignored by anyone with ears.

No comments: