Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Night Journey

We came here threading dark-eyed night, arriving just after 1.00 am. Here is Maison KL and we weren't exactly threading the north-south highway but fairly barrelling along with not that many other vehicles on the road and no hold-ups at all. In fact, I reckon we saw more lorries than ordinary cars. I assume a lot of goods get moved during the nether hours in Malaysia as they'll go a good deal faster. I wonder whether the drivers are paid for unsocial hours. I doubt it somehow. 

There's precious little to look at along the highway when you're driving at night, but occasionally you pass isolated little houses set back from the main road and wonder who lives there and why. They appear curiously welcoming as their lights shine into the darkness, almost cosy, though I doubt whether this would actually be the case once inside. Why is it that other people's lives look so attractive when you're just passing alongside them?

No comments: