Sunday, September 21, 2014

Coming Into View

Caught a documentary over the weekend (in two different bits - they repeated the programme) about modern painters from Holland and Belgium - well, modern in terms of starting with Van Gogh. The presenter chappie was that hyphenated fellow Andrew something-something who generally does a good job of looking enthusiastic and saying enlightening things about the canvases they park him in front of. Really enjoyed the bits about Van Gogh's The Potato-eaters, a painting I know quite well from reproductions and have always enjoyed without quite knowing why (and now I know why) and some early landscapes by Mondrian. I think I'm supposed to be more impressed by later Mondrian - the famous geometric stuff - but it's the pieces that he did during the First World War when making the move from figurative art to pure abstraction that spoke to me.

It occurs to me that I really don't watch enough of this kind of thing. There's quite a bit on youtube, I now realise, that I've been utterly blind to. At one time I aspired to be reasonably knowledgeable about visual art. Now I just enjoy what I can, when I can, and I reckon I should aim to do a bit more of that.

No comments: