Saturday, September 28, 2013

Coming Alive

Just back from the concert hall where we've been enjoying the SSO doing the business with Sibelius and Brahms. There was also a bit of Schumann in there but that didn't quite work for me. In contrast the performances of the Sibelius Violin Concerto and Brahms's First Symphony sort of took the top of my head off. It helped that I'm familiar with both from previous live encounters and CD (both the recorded versions, oddly enough, in performances with Simon Rattle conducting) but I wouldn't have exactly counted either among my favourite works until this evening. In fact, I still don't, but what happened was that they both really came alive for me and I got lost in them.

And then after a tasty plate of mee goreng outside we wandered down to the Waterfront just in time for the last five numbers from a group of youngsters doing a free concert: just the usual drums, bass, guitar and voice, but loads and loads of energy and zest and oomph. And not a little talent. 

Isn't it great to be alive?

No comments: