Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Question Of Taste

I've recently found occasion to point out to a number of my classes that they may have a problem understanding the notion of Jay Gatsby's lack of taste in Fitzgerald's extremely tasty novel since many of them suffer from the same problem. Fortunately for them all they need do is accept my judgments with regard to instances of his bad taste since I have pretty much impeccably good taste. I think they find this reassuring.

And it's in this light that I thought I might offer you, Gentle Reader, a fool proof test of your own ability to recognise great music, impeccably performed, when you hear it. If you fail to recognise that The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown) is a manifestation of everything that makes for great rock music, there is simply no hope for you. Also the best introduction to any song, ever; less is most emphatically more.

No comments: