Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Staying Awake

14 Ramadhan 1431

It was early in the afternoon and I was sitting on one of the walkways at work, in a spot where I've never sat before. Normally there are no chairs there. Today there was a single, welcoming plastic chair, welcoming, that is, to a man who was on his way to a lesson a bit earlier than necessary and felt the need of a quick sit down.

From that position I was able to look out at a splendid amount of greenery - splendid enough to be hypnotic in its effect. The quick sit down could have lasted a long, long time had I allowed it. But no, I manfully pressed on to deliver my lesson.

The odd thing is this: in those couple of minutes when I could have easily have lost myself in my drowsy appreciation of what Mother Nature was up to in the middle of our busy school I was never more awake.

No comments: