Monday, August 30, 2010

Losing It

20 Ramadhan 1431

I'm wary of making the assumption that one year's experience of fasting in Ramadhan will simply follow the pattern established in previous years. Yes, there are similarities, but it's the sometimes subtle differences from one year to the next that make each experience fresh and oddly unexpected. But one pattern I've noticed that has become established over the last five to six years, which seems to be repeating itself this year, is that of unexpected weight loss. This is not in any sense a diet, and I eat very well after sunset - you can trust me on that. But a check on the scales just now tells me there is at this time less of me than there has been since I was seventeen years old.

And, usually, the loss becomes really pronounced over the last ten days. So it will interesting to see if I simply shrivel away. Of course that will be an excellent excuse, if one were needed, for munching fair-sized quantities of the missus's highly munchable biscuits post-Raya.

No comments: