Friday, August 13, 2010

Something New

3 Ramadhan 1431

In the first three days of fasting time has been passing slowly. I've come to expect this over the years, but the texture of the experience still manages to surprise me. By the second half of the month something like normal service will have been resumed as the body and mind become habituated to the fast. At least, that's what I expect, but then part of the fascination of this experience is its unpredictability. So who knows?

Many esoteric traditions of thought lay stress on the idea of breaking from habit - awaking from sleep as it were. It seems to me that one of the benefits of the fast is just that: it's a kind of awaking to the world - sometimes a rather uncomfortable one. I suppose this is why it's initially so intense.

Remaining asleep would be so much easier - so comfortable. Which is why the temptation to do so is so dangerous.

No comments: