Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sheer Genius(es)

Another good day featuring a judicious mixture of work and idling round. Several worthy highlights, the most unlikely of which came in the form of an article by Nick Hornby on A tale of two geniuses. I've always found the work of Mr Hornby a bit hit and miss, generally depending on how simpatico I find myself toward his subject matter. In this case he's dealing with two of my major enthusiasms - Prince and Dickens - and whilst making an actual comparison between the two is essentially bonkers I'm very happy indeed to go with it just for the pleasure of reading about the two. 

Come to think of it, the linking of His Purple Highness with The Inimitable isn't totally crazy. Each represents something far beyond what we think of as the limit of human creativity in a way that's both astonishing and deeply life-enhancing. It's difficult to encounter either without feeling both awed and inspired.

No comments: