Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Received Opinions

I like to think I'm the sturdily independent sort when it comes to forming opinions relating to novels, drama, music, poetry, art, and all that palaver. However, in recent times I've come to suspect that deep down I'm more of a follower than I'd ever care to admit. But I'm also coming to think that's not such a bad thing as long as I make sensible choices as to whom to follow.

Two such choices for me, that I've mentioned in this Far Place before, are the music-themed blogs of Richard Williams at thebluemovement.com and Bob Shingleton at On An Overgrown Path. Both temporarily closed down earlier this year and I felt the loss keenly. Mr Williams's blog is only functioning intermittently at the moment, but it's good to see signs of life, whilst the quirky Overgrown Path appears to be back in its full fascinating glory, I'm very pleased to say.

I've learnt a heck of a lot from both and been guided along paths into territory very much worth exploring. I may have stumbled upon it by myself, but I somehow doubt I would have fully recognised where I was and its special beauties.

No comments: