Monday, October 10, 2022

Business As Usual

I was a little nervous about going into work this morning. I knew that Noi was wondering whether it would be more sensible to extend my MC, and I had other friends thinking in that manner. Somewhat to my surprise the day went reasonably easily - almost like an ordinary day, except for the fact I was moving slowly and speaking in something like a whisper. The whispering is related to what I assume is some kind of damage to my vocal cords caused by the intubation. But other than that I wasn't really stretched in any obvious way, though I covered plenty of ground. I had a strong sense that the exercise was doing me a lot of good, in fact. 

Halfway through the day it occurred to me that it was the simple normality of being at work, a routine I've been accustomed to for decades, that helped shift my perspective from that of an invalid to someone who was expected to just get on with it and, therefore, did so. All told, a bit of a triumph - but one I'll need to keep repeating, so no point in celebrating too early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take care !- ex student