Saturday, April 18, 2020

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Teaching from home has proved an interesting challenge and more time-consuming than I expected - not that that's a bad thing. I'm more than happy to be busy in the current circumstances. But it has meant that my reading has moving forward in fits and starts. And, again, that can be a good thing with the kind of book you need to take slowly.

Unfortunately, C. J. Sansom's third outing featuring his sort of Tudor detective, Matthew Shardlake, pithily entitled Sovereign, isn't such a novel. It's well written enough to warrant reading at a gentle pace but when the whole point of a great story is to get on with the great story, it's sort of irritating to take four days to get to page 72. Mind you, the thought of the pleasure involved reading what lies ahead in the remaining pages is some compensation. I just hope I can up the pace.

Funnily enough I'd never heard before of Henry VIII's Progress to the North, around which the story is based. The description of that alone would be enough to keep me happily engaged without the murders. (One so far, and highly satisfactory.)

No comments: