Friday, April 3, 2020

Great Stuff

I'm not the slightest bit inclined to nominate whom I would consider as the greatest guitarist, the greatest bassist, the greatest drummer - that sort of thing. I don't think it adds much to the conversation, the sum of human wisdom - that sort of thing. Indeed, as soon as I might name one musician I admire in any of those (or other) given categories, another nine or ten spring to mind. But if I had to name the greatest drummer I've had the good fortune of watching live four times, then I'd unhesitatingly name the wonderful Bill Bruford. (Just as a matter of interest that includes one occasion on which he played with the equally wonderful and even more extraordinary Jamie Muir, which goes beyond ordinary good fortune into the realm of absolute blessing.)

Today I chanced upon a splendid interview with Broof in Rolling Stone which confirmed what I've long suspected: the sheer intelligence of the guy. Indeed, for a moment I found myself entertaining the thought that maybe what takes a musician to the next level is a kind of innate talent combined with a keen intelligence - but then I thought of Ginger Baker and realised that, plausible as the idea was, it broke up against the odd actuality of how things are.

No comments: