Friday, January 31, 2020

More Catching Up

I've still got a few journals to read - a Philosophy Now bought at Holland Village and three literary mags I picked up in December in the UK - but I'm pleased to say I finished reading the most recent Mekong Review ahead of the next edition coming out (which will be the February 2020 issue, assuming they continue to publish.) As with previous issues I was hugely impressed with the quality of the material published, this time round feeling I've begun to understand the intensity of feeling in Hong Kong, especially on the side of the protestors with two strong pieces related to recent events there, one by Kong Tsung-gan, the other by Antony Dapiran.

But it was a poem by the Singaporean writer Robert Yeo that I'll most remember this edition for. I've generally enjoyed his stuff in the past, thinking it well-crafted and worthy of attention, but not exactly outstandingly memorable. However, his funny, charming Small town romance, so beautifully captures a kind of archetypal street talk typical of the pasar malam that it constitutes an instant minor classic.

No comments: