Sunday, January 26, 2020

Catching Up

When you find yourself reading the 15 August 2019 edition of The New York Review of Books in late January of the next year, you know you've got a bit of catching-up to do. As I'm reading I'm struck by how interesting the edition is, so it's not as if there was anything that put me off reading it when I first got hold of it.

I suppose I could claim I've been busy, but when has there been a time I haven't been busy? I suspect that time I used to spend reading my journals has been eaten up by reading stuff on-line. Indeed, oftentimes it's the same stuff. But - and this is the genuinely odd thing - I suspect I read the hard-copy versions with greater concentration, somehow in greater depth.

And often with more excitement than I feel reading on-line. For example, there's an excellent highly enthusiastic piece on a Swedish poet named Harry Martinson and a sort of epic poem he wrote in the 1950s set in space entitled Aniara: A Review of Man in Time and Space that got me considerably fired-up. It seems there's also an opera based on the poem and a recent film, along with other miscellaneous responses. I'm now thinking of a way to expose myself to the work in one of its guises.

No comments: