Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Counting The Cost

This has been my first ever visit to the South West of England and, as expected, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, as have the rest of the team. Over the last few days we've spent time in Appledore, Clovelly, Barnstaple, Westward Ho! and Bideford and it's easy to find positive things about all of them. Today we move on to the nation's capital and, I suspect, a somewhat faster, more cosmopolitan way of life. I haven't seen anyone here begging on the streets, though that's not to say there are no problems of homelessness. It might be just that less visible, or I may have been looking in the wrong places.

Generally my sense is that England is an expensive place to live. Noi and Fifi reckon that supermarket prices compare reasonably favourably with those in Singapore, especially for items like salmon, but eating out is extremely expensive and you can pay a fortune for parking - though it's been a lot cheaper here than it was in York. For reasonably prosperous middle class folk like us this is all very well, but I wonder what it's like for those struggling financially. Not a lot of fun, is my guess, made worse, I would think, by living cheek by jowl, as it were, with those who can afford a decent lifestyle.

No comments: