Friday, July 25, 2014

Aspirations

27 Ramadhan 1435

I was looking at the rather fine guide to the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's 2014 - 2015 season today, wondering just how many of the concerts I would manage to attend this time around. I have a horrible feeling the answer will turn out to be, not nearly as many as I really should. My experience of the last few seasons strongly supports such a conjecture.

And to think that there was a time back in the 1980s when I attended concerts at the Sheffield City Hall, usually featuring the Halle, on an almost weekly basis. I suppose I consider myself busier now with regard to work, but the job has always been busy. Somewhere along the way I've lost a certain degree of drive, a certain sense of aspirational desire.

Mind you, I suspect I've gained something too. A certain sense of contentment. A desire to just enjoy things as they are without trying too hard to make them otherwise.

No comments: