Friday, May 24, 2013

On The Small Screen

Now busy e-marking various examination scripts from all around the world. E-marking is another facet of the brave new world of education in which the scripts are put on-line for you to grade and annotate. Strangely I seem to have adjusted to all this in reasonably quick time, having dreaded making the transition - though these are early days.

The most obvious downside for me is that I'd developed a degree of mastery in being able to mark just about anywhere. But now it's not so easy to get on-line just about anywhere so it feels a bit restricted. The quite unexpected upside is that the whole experience feels 'cleaner' somehow - more elegant. I'm used to having packages of not necessarily well-packed scripts filling various spaces at home and at work. But now the full load is on one little machine. And the annotations look a lot neater using the software provided than in my scruffy handwriting - more convincing somehow.

And so far I've not had a single illegible script - the type in which the handwriting is designed to hide the fatuity of whatever's been written in it. But I'm sure I've got plenty of that to come.

No comments: