Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lost

Found myself down town this afternoon in one of its larger shopping centres. I was there to share a cuppa and confab with old chum Tony Green, and very jolly it all was. But I felt completely lost with regard to the building we were in and equally lost, later, when wandering down Orchard Road which bears little resemblance to the thoroughfare I first encountered on arrival in this Far Place.

At that time it was a lively sort of spot with lots of rather inviting shops almost on a human scale. Now it's even livelier and the shops are entirely uninviting. There always seems to be some sort of demolition and rebuilding going on down its length which makes no sense as all the buildings are pretty much brand new. Oh, and the shops are always the same shops selling the same expensive things that nobody really needs.

Tony and I spent quite a bit of our meandering conversation mourning lost worlds, now I come to think of it. Just sad old men, I suppose, but none the worse for that.

No comments: