Thursday, May 10, 2012

Voices

The timing isn't really that good for us, but the Missus and I have been watching quite a bit of The Voice, the American version. It comes across as a lot fresher than Idol partly because it features a wider range of music generally. I'm at an age when I hear a lot of complaints about declining standards in popular music. For the life of me, I can't hear this. I reckon there's a much wider range of exciting material available in just about every genre I can think of despite the fact I don't get that much exposure to it, except through programmes like this.

And listening to the four finalists featuring this evening, there isn't a weak one amongst them. I'm happily entertained, to say the least.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the complaint, at least for me, isn't about the lack of quality material being available if one looked hard enough. As far as I can tell at any rate, The Voice isn't the most accurate representation of what is currently topping the charts. I remember hearing both The Who and Fleetwood Mac numbers being performed some time ago, bands that many unfortunately don't even recognize anymore, and these bands are most definitely not the epitome of popular music today.

The complaint instead comes from what the masses tend to listen to now, which has largely turned into factory produced drivel. Just switch the radio over to one of the stations which play "Number One Hits" for a couple of hours and it quickly becomes less of a mystery why people would think standards in the music industry are quickly declining.

One does find diamonds in the dirt occasionally, but these gems get far too little exposure to reach the public's ears most of the time.

Brian Connor said...

I wouldn't worry too much about what the masses or the public listen to at any given time. As long as there's good stuff out there and still being produced - and there's a flood of it in all sorts of unexpected nook and crannies - it doesn't really matter if a majority choose to close their ears to this. The great thing about the times we live in is that the nooks and crannies are easily available to us if we choose to seek them out.

When I was a little lad we had two television channels and three radio stations. Mind you, somehow out of that we got The Who and Fleetwood Mac (I'm talking about the Peter Green version.) So we must have been getting something right somewhere, I suppose.