Sunday, April 10, 2011

Looking Cheap

I'm making slow progress on The Corrections at the moment (as I am on the other books I'm reading.) This is no fault of the novel itself which moves along at quite a cracking pace and is highly engaging. The problem has been the Toad work, as ever.

One thing that's not a problem though, has been the look and feel of the edition of the novel I'm reading. It's one of those small but chunky little paperbacks the American market seems to favour - you can get a lot of Steven Kings in this format. The great thing about them is that you can handily take them anywhere to read. As well as being cheap they look cheap and I like that for some reason. I particularly like the cheerfully gaudy cover of The Corrections.

This isn't to say I don't like a touch of class sometimes. Those lovely Library of America editions are held in regard at this Place. But, on the whole, I suppose it can be said that I like a bit of rough.

No comments: