Monday, March 2, 2009

Step by Step

I'm now limping so badly at work that it's drawing the attention of a lot of well-meaning people. Since I don't consider myself ill but simply suffering from a temporary mechanical hitch this is embarrassing. The other problem is that those who are aware of the background are nagging me (in the nicest possible way) to do the right thing and get to a hospital.

The doc actually wanted to admit me to hospital on Saturday when I saw him. I held out for the breathing space of another couple of weeks, in order to clear the stuff that's pressing on me and make plans for what needs to be done when I'm not around. Although I was only being admitted for some traction and bed-rest (plus an MRI) I've got a sneaking suspicion I won't get out of there without an operation. Anyway, he wasn't too happy but accepted my proposal, commenting: When we do get you here we'll have to tie you to the bed. The missus has been quoting this with great delight ever since, rejoicing in the fact that the whole world is getting to know how 'stubborn' I am.

The problem is that something could go badly wrong for me in the next couple of weeks and I might not make it through. There were a couple of moments today on longer journeys, especially those involving stairs, where I felt like just lying on the floor and letting nature take its course. So if the condition deteriorates further and I'm introduced to new, more interesting levels of pain, that may well be a signal for pulling the plug on my present plan and improvising an earlier exit than I'd really like.

No comments: