Thursday, March 26, 2009

Money Don't Matter 2 Night

I've never owned all that much in the way of music cassettes. A child of the age of vinyl I saw them as less adequate somehow than a clunky lp, but useful in cars, of course, and I suppose I did acquire one or two for that purpose. But it wasn't only when I arrived in Singapore (now buying CDs) that I shelled out for a few more, simply because they were cheap and you could sometimes get material on them not available elsewhere.

I did, however, bring across quite a nice little boxful of so-callled Walkman Classics, bargain-price recordings from the Deutsche Grammophon catalogue, packed with great mainstream 'classical' music. They helped educate me. (I'm holding one now, which is going down to the car tomorrow: five Beethoven Piano Sonatas, courtesy of Wilhelm Kempff. Hope it still plays ok.)

Recently I raided some of the stuff I bought a few years back on these shores for use in the car, supplementing the CD changer material. On the way home I suddenly found myself treated to one of the (several) great classics from Prince's Diamonds and Pearls - the gorgeous Money Don't Matter 2 Night. It skewered my heart and the financial crisis.

Anything is better than the picture of a child / in a cloud of gas / And u think u got it bad. Yes, in that moment, the truth.

No comments: