Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sleepyhead

The most disturbing image for me in Macbeth is the idea that having murther'd Sleep Macbeth is going to suffer from a massive case of insomnia. This following the beautiful lines eulogising Sleep, that knit's up the ravell'd sleave of care… makes matters far worse.

On those occasions when I've been troubled by insomnia (I have periods of waking early rather than not being able to fall asleep) Macbeth's plight has never been far from my mind, though I must hasten to add I've never actually killed anybody.

Recently I've been sleeping extremely well (I suspect there's something in my medication that contributes to the effect) but the odd thing is that that has not stopped me from feeling extremely sleepy during the day. I must say, I quite like nodding off and the curious thing is that, so far, nobody has seen fit to bother me about it. I'm referring here to the quiet word in the ear one receives when one is not really playing the game.

I wonder if my status as a senior citizen of the organisation helps in this matter? A certain amount of grey hair can be quite valuable.

No comments: