Friday, August 14, 2026

Falling Apart

For reasons best known to itself my trusty school laptop decided to fall apart just before I conducted a couple of online lessons this morning. It's a bit tricky to maintain one's cool when one's laptop screen is visibly breaking off from the body with the keyboard, but one sort of managed this as one delivered the necessary lessons. And then went into the necessary panic.

By an extraordinarily providential coincidence it was only yesterday that I'd booked an appointment with our ever-helpful IT guys to receive a brand new device as the not terribly trustworthy old trusty computer had been in my possession long enough to mean I deserved an upgrade. Unfortunately said appointment was several weeks ahead. Anyway, throwing caution to the wind I managed to charm one of our IT-support honchos into doing the swop in the afternoon, once I got back from prayers, on the grounds that by the end of the day I was likely not to be able to function as an IT-enabled sort of chap.

And the result of all this is that I'm happily typing these words on a rather spiffy brand-new laptop which has already drawn an admiring 'oooh' from The Missus. Which is all very well, but said device is missing all my old documents which for some reason didn't manage to transfer. So I'm manfully not panicking and trusting that the gods of IT know where they've gone and I'll get them back come Monday.

No comments: