Monday, August 10, 2026

Even More Food For Thought

Last Friday I referred in passing to the controversy surrounding accusations made against Professor Jason Arday as Dom and I were discussing issues around equality & equity with our class. The story was sort of breaking then, and I've been trying to keep up with its developments, some of which have been bemusing to say the least. I've also made an attempt to acquaint myself with various points of view on the case, of which there are many, to put it mildly.

The story itself is quite extraordinary - material for a deeply satirical novel. And I'm not sure anyone is coming out of it well, except for those dogged souls doing their best to establish the facts that can be agreed on. But I will say, just for now, that I've long nurtured deep suspicions regarding the quality of work coming out of the academies around the world and what I'm hearing now prompts me to think my suspicions may have had considerable foundation.

No comments: