Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Finding Strength

Noi and I followed the voluntary fast for Hari Raya Haji today. She, as ever, took it in her stride. I struggled.

It isn't that I developed a terrible headache or anything of that nature. The problem was that I kept forgetting I was fasting whilst at work and on at least five occasions found myself relishing the thought of the cup of tea I intended to imbibe when I got back to my desk only to have to remind myself that that was just not about to happen. The sense of being let-down was considerable each and every time.

Yet, as always, the experience felt like a deeply useful one. Immediately following each let-down came that odd sense of assurance that I'd be able to cope - a reminder of a strange sort of unexpected strength. Almost empowering in its way, as if an awareness of vulnerability allowed the discovery of something not quite as fragile as one might have assumed.

No comments: