Saturday, December 24, 2022

A Long Cold Drink

We've been travelling north for the last two days, having set off for Malaysia in the early evening on Friday, taking Hakim with us to Melaka. Unusually we stayed over at Rozaidah's on Friday night, a first for us, arriving there after negotiating some decent sized jams at Tuas.

Then Noi and I pressed on to KL today after a leisurely morning in Sungai Petai largely dedicated to eating well. It was typically warm on the highway in the afternoon and that was when it came pressing upon me that a long, cold drink of something like orange juice when you have a thirst on is one of life's great compensations for difficulties. I mean, just fantasising about it is remarkably compensatory, and the actual act is perfect in itself. I put this to the test when we arrived at the Great Eastern Building on Jalan Ampang, near our house when we got to KL and I was right. By the time I was halfway through the fresh orange juice I applied myself to, the world had become a better place and I was entirely satisfied.

Now we are settling in at Maison KL and facing the several challenges of a house unoccupied since June. (The fridge has taken it upon itself to break down again.) I'm keeping that moment of the afternoon in mind as a reminder of a promise fulfilled.

No comments: